A fireplace can make a home feel more welcoming and complete. After living with a fireplace, especially during those cold Winter nights, it’s hard to imagine ever going back to living without one. But just because you’re living with the luxury of a fireplace, doesn’t mean you should break the bank for it. That’s why gas log fireplaces are so beneficial.
If you’ve chosen to use a gas log fireplace, you’re already on the right path to being economically friendly. With just the flip of a switch, your fireplace will light up and warm the room. You can even set up your indoor fireplace to automatically light at a certain temperature in your home. However, despite the usefulness and efficiency of gaslog fireplaces, many encounter issues with keeping their gas logs lit.
If you’re having this problem, read more to learn why your gas logs aren’t staying lit, and where you can find the best service for your fireplace.
Several issues could account for why your gas logs aren’t staying lit. One of the most common problems is a faulty pilot light, which can only be caused by a bad pilot flame, thermocouple sensor or main control valve. Fortunately, you can easily test to see which issue is causing the problem for you.
The pilot flame of a gas log fireplace needs to be powerful enough to affect the sensors. If you don’t know what to look for, telling the difference between a bad flame and a good flame can be difficult. A bad pilot flame looks quite normal compared to most flames, such as those from candles and lighters. A yellow vertical flame is a bad pilot flame, as it won’t properly affect the sensors.
A good pilot flame will be entirely blue and will extend sideways, touching all the surrounding sensors. In order for proper functionality, all the sensors need to be kept at a certain temperature, and a blue healthy pilot light will be enough. If this is your problem, you can clean out the pilot area with a wire brush or replace the assembly altogether for a more long term repair.
If you think your thermocouple sensor might be the problem rather than your pilot light, the first thing you need to do is test the voltage. The thermocouple sensor uses a small amount of voltage to signal the main control valve to keep the flow of gas going.
The thermocouple sensor will most likely be placed in the front of your main control valve, in the form of a copper wire connected to the valve with a brass fitting. Test the voltage using a multimeter. If you don’t hit at least around 8 millivolts, it’s time to change your thermocouple sensor. With a voltage that low, it can’t signal the control valve to release enough gas to keep your logs lit.
If the pilot light and the thermocouple sensor both seem to be functioning properly, then you have a problem with your main control valve. The valve isn’t releasing enough gas for your pilot to remain lit even though your thermocouple has at least enough voltage for a proper signal. To fix this problem, you usually have to get your control valve replaced.
Accessing the small areas to check why your gas logs aren’t staying lit can be difficult, and dealing with gas fireplaces can be dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. If you want to play it safe and get service you can rely on, don’t hesitate to call an Emberside expert to take care of the problem for you. For more information, contact Emberside for all the help you might need in the Bowling Green area today!