Indoor Fireplace Safety
When the weather gets chilly, and you’re looking for warmth and comfort in your home, it’s time to fire up the fireplace hearth. Naturally, open flame in your home can present all manner of dangers, so you’ll want to be sure you take all the necessary safety precautions. Look over these indoor fireplace safety tips from Emberside, so you can stay as secure as you are comfortable and cozy this winter.
Installing an Indoor Fireplace
When you install your indoor gas log fireplace, you’ll need to keep a number of things in mind:
- Have a gas line installed by a professional. Don’t try to do this on your own.
- Be sure you measure your firebox to be sure that you have the right clearance on all sides to fit your gas logs.
- Make the right choice between vented and vent-free for your home and community.
- Be sure that if you’re using a vented fireplace that you have the proper chimney or exhaust installed.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector in the room where the fireplace is being used and additional detectors in every bedroom.
- Always check for gas leaks before lighting your fireplace.
- Carefully read the instructions for your fireplace before turning it on.
Indoor Fireplace Safety
- Clean your indoor fireplace at least once a year. Disassemble and remove the logs, vacuum it out and thoroughly wipe it down.
- Consider having it professionally cleaned and serviced every year.
- Never leave your fireplace unattended.
- Always know where your fire extinguisher is and where the cutoff to the gas line is.
- Keep children and pets away from the fire.
- Keep flammable objects clear of the heat — at least five feet away, if not further. This includes paper, clothes and other potential hazards.
- Though there have been no proven incidents of carbon monoxide issues from vent free gas fireplaces, maintain your carbon monoxide detectors. Change the batteries every year.
- Use a protective screen in front of the glass to help prevent accidental burns.
- Don’t use your indoor fireplace for cooking — they’re not generally designed for that, and doing so can create fire hazards.
If you’d like more information about indoor fireplace safety or are looking to upgrade or replace your existing gas log fireplace unit, Emberside is here to help. We offer only the highest quality gas log sets, designed for easy DIY installation. Get in touch with us to learn more or to place your order today!